Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Without a doubt, one of the most comforting, indulgent old-fashioned breakfasts, from my perspective, is biscuits and gravy. This classic biscuit and gravy recipe are pure breakfast comfort food! Fool-proof homemade s gravy poured over fluffy, warm biscuits is the perfect way to start any morning. You’re going to love how simple it is! This biscuit and gravy recipe will fulfill your craving for something warm and simple to eat. It is, however, apparent, that nothing can beat a plate of biscuits and gravy for breakfast – or any time of the day, for that matter. When you think of breakfast or brunch, biscuits and gravy are one of the first things that come to mind. Not only is it delicious in the morning, it’s also has a mighty tasty as an evening meal. And using frozen biscuits cuts down your time in the kitchen, which gives you more time with your family.
Gravy aside, you have two options for the biscuit portion of this meal: make your own or buy them from the store. If we’re being real with each other, I don’t think either of us wants to be up at 8:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning making homemade biscuits. Are they easy to make? Nope do they take a ton of time? Yes. You can use refrigerated biscuits from the grocery store, which can be a secret weapon. So this means that biscuits and gravy are at top list. There’s nothing quite as filling as warm, flaky biscuits smothered in flavorful gravy. There are many restaurants that are offering biscuits and gravy differently, but how about to make this meal at home?
What are biscuits and gravy?
Biscuits and gravy is a popular breakfast dish in the United States, especially in the South. It consists of soft dough biscuits covered in either sawmill or sausage gravy, made from the drippings of cooked pork sausage, white flour, milk, and often (but not always) bits of sausage, bacon, ground beef, or other meat. If you are biscuits and gravy breakfast lover and do not know how to make it, do not panic, we will tell you the biscuits and gravy recipe.
What the biscuits and gravy have?
Before learning the biscuits and gravy recipe, we must know and what the biscuits and gravy have. It consists of soft dough biscuits covered with gravy. The gravy is often flavoured with black pepper.
Biscuits and gravy recipe:-
Biscuits and gravy will put you in “Breakfast Heaven.” Nearly all the people love this breakfast. Definitely, it is a heavy stick kind of breakfast, but it is worth it! Biscuits and gravy recipe, here we come. Biscuits and gravy is a good, hearty, stick-to-your-ribs Southern breakfast. Make this meal every once in a while to treat your loved ones.
We will tell you how to make biscuits and gravy recipe. The fact is that the biscuits and gravy are even remotely good for you. That said, biscuits and gravy are so delicious that you will love it for sure.
Let’s get started, shall we?
- Prep Time:- 15 minutes
- Cook Time:- 20 minutes
- Yield:- 36 small biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Milk gravy (see recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in vegetable shortening until particles are the size of small peas; make a well in the center. Sprinkle in milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry dough almost cleans side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons additional milk can be added if necessary). NOTE: You want the ingredients to barely bind or stick together.
- On a light flour surface, knead dough gently about 20 times. Gently roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter or a drinking glass. Place biscuits onto an uncreased baking sheet. Place close together for soft-sided biscuits or 1-inch apart for crisp-sided ones.
- Biscuits are now ready to bake
Biscuits making hints and tips:-
- For tender and flaky biscuits, have the fat (butter, margarine, or vegetable shortening) chilled. Cut the fat into the dry ingredients until particles are the size of small peas.
- Excess handling causes tough biscuits. Do not re-roll the dough.
- Always bake biscuits on pans without sides. The heat will circulate more evenly than on pans with sides. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately remove from baking sheet.
- Split or cut the biscuits in half and top with the prepared hot Milk Gravy. Serve warm.
Makes about, 10 to 12 biscuits.
Milk gravy recipe:-
- 1/4 cup pan drippings (bacon drippings or sausage drippings)*
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk or heavy cream, room temperature
- Salt and pepper to taste
You can use the drippings from any meat, but bacon and sausage are the traditional ones used.
- In a medium frying pan over medium-high heat, combine bacon or sausage dripping and flour. Slowly brown the flour, stirring constantly (I like to use a wire whisk), to a dark golden brown (you need to keep an eye on this as it may brown too quickly).
- Gradually or slowly add the milk or cream, stirring constantly until all is added, and continue cooking and stirring until the gravy is smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper.
Tip:- This gravy can be made in advance and frozen for later use, but it tastes better when eaten the same day it is made. When ready to serve the frozen gravy, thaw it and then heat it up in a pan on the stove.
It makes enough gravy for 10 to 12 homemade biscuits.