Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
There is no doubt about it, that the food keeps families together. Recipes are passed down from generation to generation. The family history is reflected in the dishes we prepare when all the family members meet under the same roof. We remember a familiar smell suspended in the air from the kitchen, tempting people to gather around the table to share food and love, among which there is no difference. Easy black beans and rice recipe are the best one to prepare, though it does not have any meat but it tastes awesome. You can be a vegetarian and still prepare and eat traditional dishes. It just requires a bit of experimentation, nothing else.
Today we will share easy black beans and rice recipe with you, which as aforementioned is a must try. The fact is that there is nothing better than a full meal, fortunately, easy black beans and rice recipe has all that you are looking for. These kinds of foods are worth gold since most of the time, you may not have time to prepare complicated meals. This recipe turns out to be truly delicious. They do not carry any kind of meat, but I promise you will not notice it, as they are full of flavour.
What are black beans?
The bean is one of the oldest foods, which are known to man. Various varieties began to be cultivated about 7000 years ago in Peru, southern Mexico and Guatemala. Throughout the world, these legumes are known as beans and consumed in a variety of dishes and various forms.
- Beans are a magnificent source of energy, protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and plant fiber. They are the basic dish of the vegetarian menu.
- The health benefits are more noticeable in black beans, among other things, because of its high concentration of anthocyanins and flavonoid pigments, which give it a black colour.
- They constitute an excellent source of energy because of its low energy density and its caloric content is low compared to its weight; therefore, they can be consumed in good quantities during a weight loss plan or to maintain an adequate weight.
- They are an excellent source of both soluble and insoluble vegetable fiber.
- The former keeps cholesterol low, as well as regulates the body’s sugar levels and protects circulatory processes. That is why beans are ideal for diabetic patients and with instability in glucose metabolism.
- Insoluble fiber, in turn, regulates the digestive system and prevents constipation.
- The vegetable fiber of black beans also helps to increase the sensation of satiety, to the intestinal regulation and in addition, it protects diverse cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.
- They are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals because they are high in magnesium, potassium and iron, essential nutrients for the human organism.
- On the other hand, they provide substantial amounts of calcium and zinc.
- In addition, they are rich in vitamins, especially in group B, especially thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3) and folic acid (B9).
- These beans have the highest antioxidant activity because of the darker its cover the greater the content of flavonoids.
Selection of beans:-
When buying them, we must observe that they do not present humidity, smell, or are stained. They must be whole and without cracks. When a can is purchased, the package should be checked well, must be on the date and do not show dents, or cracks. The beans should be stored in a well-closed container to avoid moisture and in a cool, dry, and dark environment where they can remain in good condition for up to several months.
Preparing the beans:-
Before preparing them they should be checked and cleaned of impurities. They should be soaked before cooking, covering with cold water and leaving them to soak preferably one whole night. Soak water should be removed and black beans must be rinsed again before cooking. This avoids the flatulence they usually cause. When removing that first water from the soaked black beans do not eliminate nutrients in it, because the properties of the bean are in the grain. To cook, cover them completely with clean water and boil them on low heat for 2 hours or more without allowing them to dry.
Easy black beans and rice recipe:-
It is a traditional, exquisite, and healthy dish, and off course obliged to try.
Ingredients for easy black beans and rice recipe:-
- 2 cups of black beans already soaked and clean
- 1 red or green chilli chopped into very fine chips
- 1/5 teaspoon (1 gram) ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon oregano powder
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon of canola or olive oil, preferably extra virgin
- 3 cups of white rice, preferably long grain
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- A little bit of salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Cover with clean water
- Add the chunk of green pepper and a whole clove of garlic to the pot where the black beans are cooked in.
- Let it boil over high heat. Lower the heat to medium-slow, cover the pot without closing it completely and boil for 1 hour.
- Always stir until the beans are smooth. Then the beans should be drained and the water stored where they were cooked in.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in another large saucepan.
- Chop the second clove of garlic into small pieces and add to the pan.
- Add onion, chilli flakes, cumin, oregano, and bay leaf and fry for 4 minutes, or until softened vegetables.
- Add rice and cilantro. Fry for 1 minute until the rice is covered with oil.
- Add the beans and water of beans that was stored.
- Season with the pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Let it boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and boil for 20 minutes, or until the rice is smooth.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 3 minutes. Stir the rice with a fork, and serve hot.