There are so many red beans and rice recipe but virtually all recipes are good for you. The combination of rice and beans is a staple in many cultures, for many good reasons. Whether served as a side dish or main course, the combined lower cost nutritional impact of rice and beans together add to their frequent appearance on tables in almost every type of home. With its deep red colour, cooked red beans can encourage a wide range of foods, including salads, soups and stews. But, did you know that these little legumes can do much more than that? They are rich in protein, soluble (insoluble) fiber, folic acid (vitamin B9), magnesium, potassium and a varied number of nutrients able to strengthen health,
Undoubtedly, the beans are highly nutritious and healthy. Do not forget to include them in your diet, as well as reducing cholesterol has few calories, which helps take care of your weight.
Benefits of red beans:-
- One of the oldest foods of mankind is certainly the beans. Its nutritional contribution helps to improve the cardiovascular health of those includes beans in your diet. Red beans and rice recipe are the best that we will tell you and there is no way to say a no to it.
- The beans are a source of carbohydrate complexes, protein, vitamins, minerals and fiber. They have a low fat content and, as a food of vegetable origin, that do not contain cholesterol.
- The beans are ideal to take care of feeding a person with diabetes. Your carbohydrate complexes are absorbed more slowly than simple (sugar, sweets, honey, candy, etc.), therefore help prevent sharp increases in blood sugar levels.
- They are high in thiamine, riboflavin, niacin and folic acid. The first three are necessary for the production of energy. Meanwhile, the folic acid is essential for the formation and maturation of cells, so it is essential during pregnancy to prevent neural tube defects.
- 100 grams of beans contain about 17 grams of fiber. This is important considering the benefits of fiber to reduce levels of cholesterol in the blood and the risk of chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes and cancer.
Tip:- If eating beans generate gas or flatulence problems, the solution is simple: before cooking the beans soak in water for an hour and removes the liquid since the components that generate the gases are a type of carbohydrate found in the shell of beans and they dissolve in water.
What are red beans and rice?
The rice and beans (also called rice and beans, rice with beans etc, is a very popular dish throughout the world. Due to the basic nature of its ingredients, red beans and rice recipe is very popular in many parts of the world.
The dish usually consists of white rice accompanied by beans, brown, red or black and flavoured in various ways, depending on the region. In Brazil, for example, black beans are more popular and likewise the speciality of New Orleans is that red beans and rice are often accompanied with sausage smoked or a pork chop fried. In Mexico beans can be “pot” (boiled, just in plenty of water with a little salt onion, garlic, etc.) and white rice is boiled. Each is served on one side of the plate. It is practical, economical, abundant, and simple. In many areas, rice and beans are often served side by side, rather than mixed. In any case, you may consider a main course or accompaniment for meat or chicken. Sometimes meat or other ingredients are put on top of the rice with beans, or mixed with it.
Red beans and rice recipe:-
Ingredients for red beans and rice recipe:-
- 1 kg small red bean
- 4 slices of finely chopped bacon
- 1 medium finely chopped onion
- 1 Small green paprika seeded and finely chopped
- 1 stalk of finely chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups water
- 80 g sausage
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 large onions
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Ground black pepper
Preparation of red beans and rice recipe:-
- In a large bowl dissolve three tablespoons of salt in four liters of water. Add the beans and let soak for at least eight hours and at most 24 hours at room temperature. Before cooking, drain and rinse thoroughly.
- In a frying pan over medium heat add the chopped bacon, stirring occasionally until golden brown. Add the finely chopped onion, paprika and celery, stirring for six to seven minutes until the vegetables are softened. Then add the garlic, thyme, sweet paprika, bay leaves, cayenne pepper and black pepper.
- In a large pot mix the beans, the broth and the six cups of water. Cook over high heat until it boils. Then reduce to low heat by stirring occasionally until the beans are soft and the liquid begins to thicken. Leave on the fire for 45 or 60 minutes. Next, you must add the sausages divided into slices, the mixture of the cakes and vegetables and a teaspoon of red wine vinegar. Season in case you need more salt and continue cooking for 30 minutes. If you want you can accompany this recipe with rice and a little spicy sauce.
Although, this dish is simple, but it is very nutritious and the nutritional properties of both components complement each other. Rice has starch, which is an excellent source of energy, and also has iron, vitamin B and protein. Beans are also rich in protein and contain a good amount of iron and other minerals needed by providing rice consumption together with all essential amino acids.
- Calories: 820
- Total fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Sodium: 1951mg
- Potassium: 947mg
- Carbohydrates: 105g
- Dietary fiber: 18g
- Protein : 32g
- Sugars : 16g
- Vitamin A: 1447IU
- Vitamin C: 41mg
- Calcium: 149mg
- Iron: 5mg
- Thiamine: 0mg
- Niacin: 7mg
- Vitamin B6: 0mg
- Magnesium: 55mg
- Folate: 87mcg